During this cruise you will cycle through the wine-growing regions of Bordeaux, its historical heritage registered at UNESCO, while enjoying breathtaking views aboard the MS Bordeaux.
(Proposed itinerary in reverse 1 week out of two)
Your day by day program
Optional bus transfer from the Saint-Jean station in Bordeaux at 2pm to the boat near the Garonne Canal in Castets-en-Dorthe...
You can enjoy a first bike ride around Castets and discover this region of fertile plains rightly known as "Little Holland", with its walnut trees, kiwi orchards and market gardening. By following the path along the Canal des Deux Mers, a link between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, you can explore these magnificent rural landscapes as you wish. In the evening, a welcome cocktail will be served on board.
After a good night's sleep on board, you will be ready to get on your bike and discover the Sauternes region, where the famous sweet wines of the same name are produced. On part of the route, you will follow the meanders of the Ciron River, whose icy waters flow into the warmer waters of the Garonne.
In autumn, when the weather is mild and dry, the combination of these hot and cold temperatures generates mist, which descends on the vines and creates ideal conditions for the production of the famous Sauternes wine. Along the country roads, you can admire picturesque castles, whose elegant towers overlook an ocean of colourful vines.
Time seems to have stopped in the Middle Ages, when the English occupied the region. In the late afternoon, you will return on board to continue our journey by boat. We will head downstream, along the Garonne river, to reach Loupiac or Cadillac, a very pretty little town dominated by a castle.
Between 35km and 50km depending on the chosen option
Cadillac is located in the Graves region, considered the cradle of Bordeaux wines. It is a fortified medieval village, a bastide in the Entre-Deux-Mers wine-growing region, between the Garonne and the Dordogne.
The cycling route of the day crosses the "Premières Côtes de Bordeaux" appellation area. You will have the opportunity to visit the former residence of the writer François Mauriac as well as the Château Malromé, where the famous painter Toulouse-Lautrec lived. You will even have the opportunity to taste wines from the region!
Back on board, you will sail on the Garonne towards the superb city of Bordeaux, reaching the famous Pont de pierre and the quays of the city centre, facing the most prestigious panorama of the region: the Pont de pierre, the Place de la Bourse and the Quai des Chartrons... all this at the same time.
The guide will suggest a visit to the city of Bordeaux to discover its architectural jewels on two wheels: this short bike tour, mainly along the banks of the Garonne, in the heart of the French cycling capital, offers magnificent views of the river and the city.
In the afternoon, you can visit the UNESCO classified sites of Bordeaux during a walk or a bike tour. The main attractions of the city are the royal entrance (the Cailhau Gate), the big bell of the Pey-Berland Tower, the Golden Triangle, the Girondins column, the water mirror, and more.
You will discover sublime squares, a hidden garden, typical places where you can taste the famous Cannelés de Bordeaux with a coffee, or fresh oysters and a glass of white wine. In the afternoon, you will have free time to do some shopping and explore the city. Don't forget to visit the streets of the old town and the shops where the wine is nearly as old as the stone vaulted cellars. Don't miss the Cité du vin, which recently opened its doors.
In the morning, the boat will sail from Bordeaux to Lamarque, in the Gironde estuary, the starting point of your bike ride in the famous Médoc wine region. During your journey through the vineyards, you will discover some of the most beautiful châteaux and some of the most prestigious estates in the Médoc, a region with 21 Grands Crus Classés.
You will discover in particular the Châteaux Palmer, Issan, Lewis Brown, Rauzan Segla, Ferrière and, last but not least, Château Margaux. You can stop at one of these wonderful wineries for a visit/tasting (optional) and learn everything there is to know about the classification of the great vintages before returning on board.
In the late afternoon, the boat will sail on the wide Gironde estuary to reach the pier of Bourg, a picturesque little town on the borders of the Gironde and the Dordogne. The old town overlooks the Gironde estuary.
From Bourg, you will cycle into the Côtes de Blaye appellation area. Its wine-growing châteaux remain unknown, but their production has nothing to envy to its more famous neighbours located on the opposite bank of the Médoc.
You will be amazed to discover all the secret treasures hidden behind this region, hidden behind its hilly landscapes covered with vineyards as far as the eye can see, punctuated by magical castles and elegant mansions. Since the Middle Ages, countless pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela have crossed this region. Let yourself be seduced by the sweetness of life that characterizes this wine-growing region.
In Blaye, take a walk around the Vauban fortress (listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site) to admire this military masterpiece designed by Louis XIV's architect, before returning to Bourg by pedalling along the "corniche", a peaceful and picturesque path along the Gironde estuary.
In the evening, you will anchor in the direction of Fronsac / Libourne on the Dordogne.
Between 35km and 50km depending on the chosen option.
In Libourne, you can stroll around the pretty main square, surrounded by buildings dating back to the 16th century. You can enjoy the Friday morning market before leaving to discover the famous wine-growing regions of Pomerol and Saint-Émilion.
On your bike, through an ocean of vines, you will have all the leisure to admire preserved landscapes, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Cycling through the countryside offers a unique view of the small medieval streets of the local villages and the surrounding vineyards.
Take the time to visit the sublime village of Saint-Émilion. Your itinerary will continue on the footpaths and other small scenic roads from where you can see the most prestigious castles of Saint Emilion. Along the way, you will be able to see some of the first great classified growths such as Chateaux Angelus, Ausone, Cheval Blanc, Petrus... The most famous estates in the world. A real paradise for wine lovers!
Between 35km and 50km depending on the chosen option
After your last breakfast on board, it's time to say goodbye. Disembarkation and return transfer by bus (optional and previously agreed) in the city centre of Bordeaux, must be achieved by 09h30.
From April to October
|04 April 2020||11 April 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|11 April 2020||18 April 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|18 April 2020||25 April 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|25 April 2020||02 May 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|02 May 2020||09 May 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|09 May 2020||16 May 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|16 May 2020||23 May 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|23 May 2020||30 May 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|30 May 2020||06 June 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|06 June 2020||13 June 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|13 June 2020||20 June 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|20 June 2020||27 June 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|27 June 2020||04 July 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|04 July 2020||11 July 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|11 July 2020||18 July 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|18 July 2020||25 July 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|25 July 2020||01 August 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|01 August 2020||08 August 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|08 August 2020||15 August 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|15 August 2020||22 August 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|22 August 2020||29 August 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|29 August 2020||05 September 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|05 September 2020||12 September 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|12 September 2020||19 September 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|19 September 2020||26 September 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|26 September 2020||03 October 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|03 October 2020||10 October 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|10 October 2020||17 October 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|17 October 2020||24 October 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|24 October 2020||31 October 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|31 October 2020||07 November 2020||~1098 $ [990 €]||Guaranteed departure||Book|
- On day 1 in Castets-en-Dorthe or in Libourne from 14h00.
- On day 8 in Libourne or Castets-en-Dorthe, after breakfast around 9h30. We can arrange a bus transfer from and to Bordeaux railway station (50€ per person, see our options)
- All cabins are equipped with small windows that can be opened, an ensuite bathroom with shower and toilet, individual air conditioning, satellite TV and a safe. The upper deck has 11 double cabins and 2 single cabins. At the front of the ship, you will find a lounge with a stylish décor, a cosy bar and a small dance floor, large panoramic windows and a separate restaurant. The sun terrace has a large glass sunroof, chairs and tables as well as a bicycle shed (aft deck).
- A partir de 2 personnes.
- Intermediate level cyclist, in good physical condition. Between 27 to 58 km per day on paved cycle paths or on small roads with little traffic. No technical difficulties except on a section between Bourg and Blaye, in particular, and in Entre-Deux-Mers, some short sections of the cycle route have steep slopes. Most of the time, you will have a choice of options: shorter, longer, easier and more difficult itineraries.
- Nothing to carry: You only bring your day's belongings, in a small bag. You will find your luggage every day at the boat.
- Bike rental (21 gears, bike bag) : 100€
- E-bike rental : 210€
- Tandem bike rental : 180€
- Return bus transfers from/to Bordeaux St Jean railway station to the boat : 50€
- Higher bridge double room supplement : 190€
- Single room supplement : 450€
- Guided cycling (12 pax maxi per group) : 180€
- Mid season Supplement (02/05/2020 - 29/08/2020 / 03/10/2020 - 24/10/2020) : 300€
- High season supplement (29/08/2020 - 03/10/2020) : 400€
- Tour and accommodation on board in a double room on the lower bridge for 8 days / 7 nights (Saturday to Saturday)
- Full board : 7 breakfasts, 6 cold lunches during bike tours, 7 three-course dinners
- Bed linen and towels (the towels can be changed every day)
- Daily cleaning of the cabin
- Welcome cocktail, presentation of the ship and crew, and briefing meeting on the first evening
- English speaking guide for daily briefings for the current bike journey
- Detailed instructions and maps for each bike tour, 1 documentation pack per cabin
- Unlimited coffee and tea on board at the end of each bike ride
- Return transfers between Bordeaux and the mooring places in Castets-en-Dorthe and Libourne/Fronsac (see options)
- Other transfers
- Bike/e-biker rental
- Parking fees
- Entrances, excursions and wine tastings
- Drinks on board
- Individual insurance
- Special diets on request, with a possible extra charge of approximately 50€.