This trip will introduce you to the Carpathian Mountains and Transylvania, known as a mysterious and spectacular land, famous through Bram Stocker’s legend of Dracula and well-known for its forests sheltering so many species of wild plants and animals.
Transylvania, surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains, was also a much sought for land. That is how the Saxons arrived here in the 11th century to guard the Carpathian Mountains passes between Transylvania and Wallachia against the Tatars and the Ottomans. But this is just a hint of the rich heritage that you will discover during this entire trip. An exceptional holiday is awaiting for you!
Your day by day program
Arrival and welcome in Bucharest Northern Train Station before 2 PM. Train transfer to Zarnesti. Change in Brasov. 2nd train transfer to Zarnesti, a mountain village and main entrance to the Piatra Craiului National Park. Accommodation and dinner at your guesthouse.
You will ride to the North, to a small typical village at the foot of Fagaras Mountains, the highest mountains in Romania. You can make a 7 km detour on a gravel road to visit the already famous Bear Sanctuary near Zarnesti. From there you head to Ohaba where you will visit the oldest flour mill in the county, powered by a water and you will hear its amazing story from the communism period. Dinner and accommodation in a guesthouse. (BLD, ~50 km, +250m, -400m)
You cycle at the foot of the Fagaras mountains over Bucium river. You will step by the original village of Lisa where a 100 years old machine, tailoring thick woollen blanket is still working; then passing by Sambata de Sus with its impressive Brancovenesc monastery from 1696. After that the trip goes further over Dragus (etnographic museum). You cross the Victoria town and to the small village of Cartisoara and from there to the village of Carta, where you will visit the ruins of the Cistercian monastery. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to meet the pastor and hear his beautiful stories. Overnight at guesthouse in Carta village. (BLD, ~60 km, +300m, -450m)
2 extra nights possible in Carta:
- One for the visit of Sibiu: we recommend to have an extra day in this magnificent village and to go by train to visit Sibiu, one of the most beautiful medieval towns in Romania. This is certainly the reason why Sibiu was chosen « the cultural capital of Europe in 2007 ». Developed by Saxons on a Roman village, Sibiu was the residence of the Austrian government in Transylvania. The small streets, the picturesque courtyards and the rock stairs create a romantic atmosphere. Lots of monuments and interesting museums are also waiting for you. In the evening you return by train to Carta village.
- One for riding the Transfagarasan route: details below
The route through Transylvania continues towards Biertan and its enormous fortified church with several ring-walls. It is Unesco World Heritage since 1993. Trip along country roads and you'll enjoy the pastoral landscapes and fortified church of Richis. Dinner and accommodation in Biertan village. (BLD, ~65 km, +600m, -650m)
This cycling day will allow you to discover other treasures from Transylvania. You move on to Sighisoara, one of the few medieval citadels in Europe that is still fully inhabited and also included on the list of UNESCO World Heritage. Discover the old town with its famous clock tower, which initially served as the main entrance to the citadel, but also covered stairs, medieval streets, the house where Vlad Dracul, the father of Vlad the Impeller known by Bram Stocker’s legend as Dracula, was born. On the road you can make a small detour to Dumbraveni, another town with an important Armenian Catholic Church, another witness of our glorious past. Free diner. Accommodation in a charming 3* hotel. (BL, ~40 km, +380m, -400m)
Today you will cycle through the Transylvanian hills to Apold village which also has a lovely fortified church. Then you will arrive in Soars village where you will spend the night. The country road will take you to remote and bucolic areas where you will surely meet shepherds watching over their sheep herds. Do not miss this meeting! (BLD, ~48 km, +600m, -500m)
From Soars we bike to one of the highlights of this trip, Viscri, where you will have the opportunity to visit Viscri’s fortified church. This church was restored with the help of Prince’s Charles foundation. A ride day thorough those old and time-standing villages offer a peaceful immersing into yourself; time to meditate at the passing of time and connection to the nature. (BLD, ~35 km, +300m, -250m)
Leaving from Viscri you will reach Homorod. You will continue your route to Rupea Fortress, one of the oldest archaeological remains in Romania. Due its dominant position, next to the city, the fortress is a remarkable presence from distance. A ride which will takes us through the villages that will make you discover the ancient rhythm of the Romanian villagers. (BLD, ~58 km, +250m, -350m)
After breakfast, private transfer to Brasov from where train departure to Bucharest (one train at 9.38 and several trains starting with 13:30). End of the trip. Possible detour to Bran (1.5h stop to visit it) and you continue to Bucharest.
From April to the end of October.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- Double occupancy:
- 1 night in 3* small hotel in Sighisoara (D5)
- 7 nights in guesthouses, exceptionally shared facilities
- Minimum of 2 people.
- 9 days of which 6.5 of cycling. Medium level (from 35 to 74 Km/day, with some climbs).
- Luggage will be transferred from one guest-house to the other.
- Single supplement : 95€
- : 80€
- Bike rental (Trek hybrid bikes with front suspension, bottle holder) : 95€
- E-bike rental : 290€
- Extra-night in Carta, guesthouse, 1/2 board, double based / person - for visiting Sibiu : 45€
- Extra-night in Carta, guesthouse, 1/2 board, double based / person - for riding the Transfagarasan road available only on Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays : 75€
- Extra night in Brasov/Bucarest 3*, central, double based : 70€
- GPS tracks on USB stick : 25€
- meals (8 breakfasts, 6 picnics and 6 dinners in the guest-houses)
- road-book, maps, luggage transfer
- 24h/24 local assistance available
- 1 lock for every 2 bikes
- Some of the meals (see above)
- drinks, items of personal nature
- bike rental with helmet
- transfer to the meeting point and from the drop off point
- insurances and personal expenses
- Suggested Items: light fleece top; Light windproof/waterproof jacket; headlamp, sun hat, personal clothing for mild to hot weather, sturdy walking shoes, sunblock, sunglasses.